THE LITTLE ONES

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

WHEN MORNING BREAKS

By 5:45am this morning, I had fed Mr J, made his daycare bottles, selected clothes and packed bags for the day, and put out the trash for weekly pickup -- not bad work as the sun was rising. Mr J stayed awake after having his breakfast and was happily playing with a Fisher Price musical telephone, and as I went back into the master bathroom to start dressing for the day, Miss M's eyes fluttered open (she was laying on our bed) and she sleepily said, "Come lay down with me, Momma" -- what mother could resist? Certainly not this one. I said, "Thank you for inviting me, I would love to lay down with you, M...".

So laying there curled around her, sharing a pillow and with her little pink fleece Pooh blanket pulled over us both, I brushed the hair from her face, wished that these moments could last forever, and counted my blessings. Blessings of beautiful and healthy little ones who are independent and who I believe love our family as much as I do.

I am amazed at their tiny little hands and feet, and big brains which I love to see working through their sparkling eyes and which never seem to stop yearning to learn. Miss M drifted softly back to a light sleep while Mr J played. I savored when I first met each through ultrasound, remembered each birth, recalled Miss M's first steps and realized that Mr J's aren't very far away. I thought about their personalities and quirks, and imagined what they will be when they grow up and their journeys to get there.

I hope that they find as much peace and happiness in their lives as I have found in mine by being their parent. And then our day began . . .

No comments: